The structure’;s exterior is wrapped in one kilometres worth of copper strips, a material that references copper infrastructure within the old electricity plant. The aim was to convey a sense of “power and energy”.
“A visual rhythm has been created by forming the shape of the copper strips into an undulating sequence to represent the natural flow of sound and music,” the design team.
Acoustics were central to the project’;s design, but the firm sought to accommodate other concerns, too.
“Ultimately, music is about creation, but at the same time it is also about communication and the experience involved in the process,” explained Tino Schaedler, founder of Optimist Design. “The space is platform to foster creativity, add spirit and make people feel comfortable.”
“I used to play in a band when I was in high school and we recorded a few times in a studio, which was always a special time,” he added. “Today, many musicians record at home on a computer, so being in a studio is something special for different reasons.”
“Red Bull’;s revitalisation of the power station is the perfect metaphor for the resurgence of Berlin as a capital of ideas,” said Michael Brown, design director for Optimist Design.
Related story: Red Bull Amsterdam by Sid Lee Architecture
Related movie: Red Bull offices by Linda Morey Smith
More music studios and studios:
- Oslo warehouse converted into film production facility fo…r Storyline Studios
- ARRO Studio creates Clarks Originals headquarters within …historic warehouse
- Tiny writer’;s studio by Architensions provides a creative… refuge in Brooklyn
- Carl Turner’;s Peckham plans will provide spaces for “ordi…nary people” as well as creatives
- Sadie Snelson Architects converts London warehouse into p…hotographer’;s home and studio
- Plywood artist’;s studio by Ruetemple combines areas for s…torage, seating and sleeping
- Sutherland Hussey Harris adds angular brick tower to Edin…burgh Sculpture Workshop
- ReMIX Studio renovates Beijing hutong house into office w…ith metal mezzanine
- Wooden house by Suzuki Architects also contains a hair sa…lon and a writing studio
Posted on Thursday January 7th 2016 at 12:01 am by Jenna McKnight. Copyright policy | Comments policyAdd to Flipboard Magazine.
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories