In an ideal world, we’;d all have the proper space and budget to have one of the sublime swimming pools we featured recently. But the reality is, not all of us can. Some homes have soil issues that make digging and excavation impossible. Or perhaps the yard area is small. Quite often, however, an above ground swimming pool is the only solution to overcoming these limitations.
Above ground pools with decks are popular in coastal areas where sand makes an underground pool difficult to build. Image:
Above Ground Swimming Pool Pros Include:
- Ease of setup – Most pools come pre-built or are easy enough to build (if you like DIY projects) in a few hours.
- Price – Above ground swimming pools range in price from $1000 – $4500, making them more budget-friendly.
- Size – A range of pool sizes are available, including sizes for smaller spaces.
- Less maintenance – They’;re easy to keep clean and feature low-maintenance filters and pumps. Winterizing an above ground pool is easier than that of a standard pool.
Above Ground Pool Cons Include:
- Easier to damage – Side walls and pool materials are easier to damage or puncture, requiring extra care to avoid any issues.
- Durability – They typically last 7 to 12 years, whereas a traditional swimming pool lasts for more than 20 years.
- Aesthetics – Above ground swimming pools are not as attractive. But with a few tweaks, you can have an above ground pool that looks just as custom as a regular swimming pool.
- Depth – Above ground pools are not very deep, averaging at approximately 4 feet.
If you think an above ground pool is right for your needs, add these ideas to your decor plan to beautify your yard and add a custom look. Some of these design ideas are larger than life! Adding elements such as above ground pool decks, lush landscaping and comfortable outdoor patio furniture can enhance your outdoor swimming area in no time.
Above Ground Pool Decks
Adding a simple deck around an above ground swimming pool hides the unattractive siding and creates a more contemporary look. Image: Mermaid Pools
A rich, dark wood deck is built flush with the above ground pool to mimic a contemporary pool design. Image: Frank and Grossman
An above ground deck that connects the house to the pool. The deck stops halfway to recreate the look of an infinity swimming pool. Image: Cres2od Pools
Concrete Above Ground Pools
A small above ground plunge pool is just right on a hot day. Image: Australian Plunge Pools
A contemporary above ground plunge pool with wood detailing that provides seating and hides the pool’;s filtration system. Image: Urban Angles
Above Ground Pool Ideas Boxed in Wood
Stained wood siding contrasts nicely with the turquoise pool water and hides the unsightly raised pool structure. Image: Construction Zone Phoenix
A long lap pool and jacuzzi have a sleek design thanks to the prefab pool’;s custom and exotic wood frame. An integrated central platform divides the 2 areas and creates a spot for relaxing. Image: Secret Gardens
Add a wood frame around an above ground pool to offer seating and places to put drinks and towels. Image: Platinum Pool Care
This spa doubles as a plunge pool. What makes it most unique is the spa’;s striking cantilevered levels. Image: Dimension One Spas
Wood siding with masterfully wrapped stairs give the store-bought pool a one-of-a-kind look. Image: Cres2od Pools
Custom wood siding around an above ground pool that looks like a modern oak wine barrel. Image: Cres2od Pools
Semi Underground Pool Ideas
Sometimes it’;s necessary to install a pool semi-underground when the space isn’;t level. The exposed area features fieldstone to hide the pool’;s frame. Image: Nill Silver Photography
Partially underground, this deep pool has stone steps that make it easier to enter and exit. Image: Mermaid Pools
Another partially underground pool design due to the property’;s slope. Image: Ohio Pools
Above Ground Pools Finished With Custom Materials
Build a Wonderboard frame and tile it to get this raised pool’;s look. Image: ZEN Associates
A custom above ground pool in glass and large tile with an integrated deck. Image: ZEN Associates
A prefab raised pool with steps and a stone finish instead of the traditional wood deck. Image: Legacy Builders
Accessories For Your Above Ground Pool
The post Beauty on a Budget: Above Ground Pool Ideas