Ho Chi Minh-based a21studio – whose colourful community centre design won the top prize at last year’;s World Architecture Festival – built the Pagoda to offer an alternative to the more elaborate temples of Nha Trang, a city on Vietnam’;s coastline.
“As Buddhists, we are wondering whether it is too hard to renounce conveniences and comforts in the modern life.”
A set of craggy stone steps lead up a rocky slope to the structure, which sits in a clearing among a patch of trees. It is open on all sides to the elements and has a floor of wild flowers and grasses.
Visitors must crouch to move beneath the shelter of the canopy, where a solitary candle rests on a ceramic saucer.
According to the architects, the structure is inspired by the sheltering canopy of the sacred Bodhi Tree – under which Buddhist founder Siddhartha Gautama – the Buddha – is said to have attained enlightenment through meditation in the 6th century BC.Concept sketch
Photography is by the architects.
Related story: Jägnefält Milton’;s Forest Pavilion tests new Swedish building law
Stockholm studio Jägnefält Milton has designed a leaf-shaped pavilion for a woodland site – taking advantage of a new Swedish planning stipulation that allows structures under a certain size to be built without permission. More »
Related movie: The Chapel by a21studio is like “a big colourful lantern”
In this exclusive video interview Vietnamese architect Toan Nghiem discusses the use of bright colours in The Chapel, the community centre that was crowned World Building of the Year 2014. Larger version + story »
More architecture for worship:
- University chapel by Dynerman Architects… hides its true form behind a square wall
- 11 of the most heavenly chapels on Dezee…n
- Skewed concrete chapel by EMC Arquitectu…ra balances over a mountainside in El Salvador
- Chilean chapel will become Gaudí’;s firs…t project outside Spain
- Reiulf Ramstad completes wooden church w…ith a grand spire beside a Norwegian fjord
- Zinc-clad chapel by René van Zuuk to be… built over Almere’;s city lake
- Brutalist buildings: Pilgrimage Church, …Neviges by Gottfried Böhm
- Carmelite Monastery by Austin-Smith:Lord… designed to be “calm, ordered and uplifting”
- Schneider+Schumacher’;s church based on m…otorway signage looks like Batman
Posted on Thursday, February 26th, 2015 at 8:00 am by Jessica Mairs. See our copyright policy. Before commenting, please read our comments policy.
- Timber frame surrounding Heri & Salli’;s …Office Off transforms the building into a climbing frame
- Origin Architect transforms Beijing fact…ory into a theatre complex
- RH+ creates daycare centre with a crumpl…ed facade
- Benozzo Gozzoli Museum by Massimo Marian…i
- Art Institute of Chicago Modern Wing by …Renzo Piano Building Workshop
- New Pinterest board: UNStudio
- Movie by Cristobal Palma: Coliseos by Gi…ancarlo Mazzanti Arquitectos and Felipe Mesa
- The Ring by OFIS Arhitekti
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories
newsletter includes the best stories and comments from readers plus new jobs, competitions, movies and more.
Our new book features 45 conversations with leading figures in architecture and design from around the world.